Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Dare You To Move

I have the (un)lucky pleasure of constantly having a song in my head (those are called "earworms," in case you didn't know). I wake up every morning with a song in my head. Sometimes, that song represents what I am currently going through in life, but most of the time it's just a random annoyance. This blog will be a daily journal of those earworms and what they do (or don't) represent. This morning, my earworm was personal.

Current hit "Dare You To Move" by Switchfoot was in my head when I awoke this morning. At first I thought, "how appropriate, after yesterday, I don't want to move out of this bed. Yesterday at work, it became clear that the layoffs that will be happening at my company will come sooner rather than later. It also became clear to me that I will much more than likely be one of the ones given a pink slip. With the helpless, self-doubting feelings I was going through all day Tuesday, staying in my bed sounded like the best option.

Welcome to the planet/Welcome to existence/Everyone's here.../Everybody's watching you now/Everybody waits for you now/What happens next. How fitting. When I finally got myself up (after 3 hits to the snooze button) and into the shower, I started thinking more about the lyrics to that song. I dare you to move/I dare you to lift yourself up off the floor.../Like today never happened/Today never happened before. Some inspiration, I needed that. Seriously.

You see, I've never been through a layoff before. I've never been fired before. Every job I've left has been on my own accord. I've done well at my company, was promoted quickly, and received some fair raises. I made enough money (barely) to buy my first house by myself. I've been with the company for over 4 years, and didn't see myself leaving for quite some time. How things change when the SEC investigates the corporate office for accounting fraud (don't worry, I'm in Marketing) and the stock loses half its value. Welcome to the fallout/Welcome to resistance/The tension is here.../Between who you are and who you could be/Between how it is and how it should be.

Yes, I'm a music freak, but I'm not too familiar with Switchfoot. I know they are hot right now and that they are a "Christian-lite" rock band. Maybe redemption has stories to tell/Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell/Where can you run to escape from yourself?/Where you gonna go?.../Salvation is here. between this job situation, my relationship with Lisa ("when are we getting engaged?!") and other personal life struggles, maybe this is what God wanted me to hear. It's good to start this blog off on an interesting note. For all I know, the Starlight Vocal Band may be in my head tomorrow. Let's pray that it won't.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home