Monday, October 11, 2004

Gold in the Sunset

My ears were still ringing from the Bob Schneider show the night before, which is also why I awoke to his song "Gold in the Sunset." Friday night was the beginning of the fast-paced weekend. Brent's rehearsal dinner was rather interesting -- the bride and groom didn't even sit together! Their whole wedding setup has been strange from the get-go, though. They didn't have ushers, they only had 3 groomsmen and 4 bridesmaids, invited 250 people to the wedding and only 70 or so showed up, open bar at the afternoon reception, but beer only, no wine, etc. Brent's mother was so happy to finally meet me -- she lives in east Texas, but still, it's hard to believe that I've known him for 9 years and never met her.

As far the Schneider concert, it was very good, and crowded. It was a definite sellout at the Engine Room. I've decided now that I don't like seeing shows there -- standing room only, can't get to the bar easily, and people just drop their beer bottles on the ground so you can easily trip. Damn, maybe I'm just getting old (it was quite loud, too!). It was nice to hear him play some of his old politically incorrect songs from his Scabs days.

Lisa and I decided against the Greek festival Saturday night due to time, so we went and had a very nice dinner out on the patio of Annabelle's in the Heights. I brought a bottle of Merlot, the weather was perfect, making for a very romantic night. After that, we met my co-workers at the Mucky Duck for the Paul Thorn show. This guy is really funny! Musically, he's average, but the show was worth it. We hung out for a while afterwards and one of my co-worker coerced us into going to Lola's, this dump of a bar, for a nightcap. The place smelled of urine. Luckily, we only had time for one drink there.

Ever since I bought the Everything But The Girl DVD last week, I've been listening to their CD
Like the Deserts Miss the Rain more, so it's now surprise that their "Piece of my Mind" was in my morning earworm Sunday. Very interesting song, one person explains it was the "feminist version of 'Cats in the Cradle'". I can't find a link to the lyrics, so you'll have to find out for yourself.

Lisa and I barely made it to the Texans game at noon. After being out until almost 3 AM, it's needless to say we were exhausted. So, we skipped out on the tailgate and met my friends at our seats. Great game -- Texans were down by 21 points, and came back in the last quarter to tie it up. Of course, they lost in overtime, but it was still a great try. Spent the evening relaxing at home -- how nice!

"Crazy on You" from Heart was Monday's earworm. Why? I have NO idea. I was a willow last night in my dream/I bent down over a clear running stream/Sang you the song that I heard up above/And you kept me alive with your sweet flowing love. Ahh, how sweet. Whatever. For a 70's rock song, it's still pretty good. The weather is magnificent here. I got my car washed at lunch and my Jeep will be topless for the remaining week! Man, I wish I could skip out of work, drive to the hill country and go camping. (I may get that wish with a pink slip -- oops)

I talked to my old high school friend James last night. Once again, he said "maybe we can do dinner one night this week." Yeah right. Everytime we talk about doing that, he cancels. He's so unreliable. I laughed when he said that and told him that I'm not planning anything again with him unless he's committed to going. So, we're supposed to go eat tonight. I'll let you know what happens. I really don't care one way or the other, we usually run out of things to talk about when we meet. We are both so different now. But, we both still have this need to keep connected...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home