Tuesday, November 30, 2004

In My Own Mind

I get up in the morning/I drink a cup of coffee/I look out of the window/I try to get it started/I turn it all over/Plow it all under/I plant 'em in the springtime/Pick 'em in the summer. Another morning song in my head this morning (Lyle Lovett). Man, it was hard to get out of bed. The temperature dropped 25 degrees overnight with this new cold front -- the blanket felt great!

I live in my own mind/Ain't nothin but a good time/No rain just the sunshine/Out here in my own mind/I live where I can breathe/Ain't nothin but a cool breeze/Nobody that it won't please/Out here where I can breathe. Spend the night at home, fixing my computer. I finally was able to get my PC to recognize my CD-ROM drives again, thank God. I can't live without those!

James called me last night at 11pm. He was out of town on a business trip and wanted to hear a friendly voice. He said "I could really use you now," meaning my good words and friendship. I'm the friend he goes to when he feels down and needs to feel better about himself. Probably because he knows that I always give him praise, which I shouldn't so freely. He told me that he had a rough holiday. His mother asked him if he's seeing any special girl right now, and he reminded her that he was gay, to which she responded "Oh, I thought you'd be over that by now." I'm surprised that she still doesn't get the fact that this is not a phase. I mean, it's been obvious to his friends since high school that he was probably gay, but I guess it's tougher for family to come to that realization.

This is where I get honest. Yes, James is the person that I experimented physically with. We first messed around 15 years ago, and continued off and on past college. I do not consider myself gay or even bisexual, because I don't have a desire to do that with any other guy. Honestly, even in high school, I didn't see James as one of my "guy friends" -- he was always in a different category. We've always had a strange relationship -- very competitive for our first 10 years of friendship, but it has evolved into a support friendship. We don't have many similar interests, nor do we have any similar friends, but we can still connect somehow. We have an emotional attachment with each other that will probably last forever. This may complicate things when I get married or when he finds his life partner, but I'll deal with that when it comes.

Hardwood floor creakin'/Bedroom door squeakin'/She's standing in the kitchen/I thought she was still sleepin'/Kiss her on the forehead/Asked her how she slept/She says, 'honey it's so early,/We probably shouldn't speak yet. I love that verse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home